Why choose A level History?
History is an incredibly interesting and well-respected A level subject in which students can learn about and form opinions on the history of both Britain and the rest of the world. In the context of contemporary society, where important issues such as equality and diversity are at the forefront of young people’s political and social agendas, it could be argued that now more than ever there is a need to understand the past, it’s implications and how we got to where we are today.
Our History tutor is immensely knowledgeable and has helped many of her students attain top grades which, in turn, earned them places at some of the best universities in the UK such as Oxford and Cambridge. Through her outstanding standard of teaching, almost unlimited resources and thorough feedback, she will be able to guide you steadily through the syllabus, providing you with a great depth of knowledge and helping you achieve to the best of your ability. Students who decide to pursue a degree in History have gone on to work as archaeologists, politician’s assistants and solicitors, to name a few.
What skills will you gain from studying A level History?
Studying History at A level will help you gain transferrable skills such as researching, communication, problem solving and the ability to prioritise information, as well as decision making. The Edexcel History specification states that through studying this course, students will:
- Improve as effective and independent learners, and as critical and reflective thinkers with curious and enquiring minds
- Develop the ability to ask relevant and significant questions about the past and to research them
- Make links and draw comparisons within and/or across different periods and aspects of the past; and
- Acquire an understanding of different identities within society and an appreciation of aspects such as social, cultural, religious and ethnic diversity as appropriate
What will you study in A level History?
There are a huge range of historical eras that are available to study at A level History, which vary depending on the exam board. Our preferred exam board for History is Edexcel (although our tutor can teach both OCR and AQA), and here are some of the many topics than can be studied:
- The crusades, c1095-1204
- Germany and West Germany, 1918-89
- In search of the American Dream: the USA, c1917-96
- Russa in revolution, 1894-1924
- The rise and fall of fascism in Italy, c1911-45
- Mao’s China, 1949-76
- The witch craze in Britain, Europe and North America, c1580-c1750
- Britain: losing and gaining an empire, 1763-1914
- Rebellion and disorder under the tutors, 1485-1603
If you are not sure whether A Level History is right for you, why not try a taster lesson! For the cost of our registration fee (£47), you can have up to three taster lessons in subjects of your choice. During these sessions, you can see if both History and Barts is the right fit for you.